Constructed in 1879, Civil War General Oliver Otis Howard and his family were the first of many to enjoy the house’s traditional wrap-around porch and intimate courtyard. It now hosts the administrative offices of The Historic Trust, meeting rooms, and the second floor includes offices of an elected official and members of a military veteran coalition. In the recent past, it served as a Museum-like visitor center, and there are small exhibit displays reminiscent of that period. Take a stroll through the heritage rose garden, located just off the courtyard and tended by the Fort Vancouver Rose Society. Open to the public.